Council Found Dogs
The dogs pictured below are in the care of the local council. Dogs shown in this section have been found straying by a dog warden or a concerned member of the public. Your dog has been brought to the County Pound at Coxhoe because:
- It was out unaccompanied, not wearing an identity disc (which is required under the Environmental Protection Act 1990), or,
- It was not possible for the finder to contact you on the details available at the time, or,
- Your dog has been collected as a stray before.
- MB010 19 Stray, Prestwick Close, Middlesbrough
- DU036 19 Adult Stray, Wheatley Hill
- DU035 19 Adult Stray, Wheatley Hill
- DU034 19 Adult Stray, Wheatley Hill
- DU030 19 Stray, Cassop
- MB009 19 Stray, Linthorpe Middlesborough
- DU029 19 Stray, Wingate Nature Reserve
- MB008 19 Adult Stray, Linthorpe Middlesborough
- HP005 19 Adult Stray, Hartlepool
- DU028 19 Adult Stray, Croxdale
- DU025 19 Stray, Fishburn
- DU024 19 Stray, Ushaw Moor
- DU022 19 Stray, Dene Park Esh Winning
- DU021 19 Stray, Coxhoe
- HP003 19 Stray, Jesmond Gardens, Hartlepool
- DU019 19 Adult Stray, Wheatley Hill
- DU017 19 Stray, Bishop Auckland
- MB003 19 Stray, Cargo Fleet Lane, Middlesbrough
All dogs brought to the council pound kennels are photographed on arrival and given a unique reference number. Please use this reference number when making enquiries regarding reclaiming your dog. We are unable to discuss council dogs with anyone other than the owner.
The dogs are checked for any obvious injuries and held for at least 7 days. During this time an owner should collect their dog from the council’s facility as soon as possible. You can collect your dog from the pound between 8am and 6pm, seven days a week (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) Although the council will make all possible efforts to locate the owner, no responsibility will be accepted if the dog is not collected during this period.
The council operates a non-destruct policy and in accordance with the Environmental Protection Act 1990 all dogs seized as strays by the council will become the property of the council after they have been kept for a mandatory period of 7 days and remain unclaimed by the owner. The dog will be rehomed on behalf of the council by the charity and the previous owner will have no legal claim to it. Any proceeds from the sale of this dog will be used by the charity to subsidise the service provided to the public on behalf of the council. Stray Aid makes every effort to rehome as many dogs as possible and will not destroy a rehomeable dog.
If you believe you are the owner of one of these dogs, please contact us on 0300 9994247, quote the dog’s unique reference number and leave your contact details.
What you need to bring in order to assist us in returning your dog;
- Photographic Identification: Photo card driving licence, passport, bus pass etc.
- One proof of current address (less than 3 months old): Utility bill, rent book, council tax bill etc.
- Proof of ownership: Purchase receipt, photographs of the dog in your own home or with your family, vaccination/vet record, up to date microchip details etc
- 0-1 day: £25 mandatory council fine + 1 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £35.00
- 2 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 2 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £45.00
- 3 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 3 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £55.00
- 4 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 4 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £65.00
- 5 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 5 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £75.00
- 6 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 6 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £85.00
- 7 dates: £25 mandatory council fine + 7 x £10.00 kennel fee Total fee: £95.00
Please note we do not accept credit or debit cards, and no longer accept cheques.
If you feel that the fine has not been applied correctly, and you wish to appeal against the council fine, please contact:
- Durham County Council Education and Enforcement Manager on 03000 260000
- Hartlepool Council Waste and Environmental Services on 01429 523358
- Middlesbrough Environmental Services on 01642 726001